Spring is here, so chances are you’ve already started working on your spring cleaning list.
However, you can do more than letting some fresh air in and tidying your property from top to bottom to improve your home this season.
Take advantage of the rising temperatures to increase your home security. Here are four effective tips which will help you better protect your family and your assets.
1. Take an Inventory of Your Valuables
As the saying goes, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
As you go from one room to another to clean your home, also take some time to document any big-ticket items you have in your home.
- Make copies of receipts and store them somewhere safe
- Write down items’ serial numbers
- Take digital photos, including close-ups which show the item in detail.
Why it important you do so? A home inventory can be of great use in case of an unfortunate event, such as a fire or a burglary.
You’ll be able to provide accurate documentation to your insurance company or police officers investigating your case.
2. Keep Your Home Security Wires out of Sight
When targeting a property, burglars will always try to take advantage of possible vulnerabilities within the security system. So paying attention to details is paramount.
If you have a home security system in place, it’s best to conceal all related wiring around the exterior of your property.
It’s an easy way to ensure burglars won’t be able to disable your system from the outside by cutting the wires.
3. Use Lighting to Keep Thieves at Bay
It’s true that days are longer during spring as compared to the cold seasons. Still, installing security lights is something to consider if you want to add another layer of safety to your home.
- Light up all entrances to your home at night. A brightly lit house is more likely to scare off burglars.
- Use motion-based infrared detectors which activate automatically for the other areas surrounding your property.
- Consider using light switch timers inside. These allow lighting to come on and off automatically and thus give the appearance someone is always home.
4. Invest in a Smart Lock
If you are tired of carrying your keys everywhere you go, this might be the best solution for you.
Smart locks provide a convenient, innovative, keyless way to secure your home. You have several options to open your door:
- By inserting a PIN Code
- Through a wireless remote control device (Remote Fob)
- From your smartphone when connected to a smart home system.
By using these locks, you eliminate the risk of getting locked out or losing your keys. This makes them an excellent addition to your home security system.
And no matter what type of door you have, there’s a smart lock which is perfect for your home.
Are you interested in learning more about Yale Smart Security Range? All you have to do is submit an online inquiry as soon as possible and we’ll get back to you! No strings attached.
Now You Know
All these tips are easy to implement and will make your home less appealing to burglars.
Also, they come with the added benefit of providing much-needed peace of mind. This way, you will be able to enjoy this beautiful time of the year knowing your property and family are better protected.